These are awesome (kinda healthy) little muffins. The best bit? The two zucchini I managed to hide in these. The recipe I used was an adaption of the Spiced Chocolate and Zucchini Cake from the Thermo forum. The frosting recipe is straight from here.
350 g zucchini medium cut into rough chunks
180 g sugar
115 g Butter cubed
1 level teaspoon vanilla essence
2 tablespoons espresso coffee (or substitute for milk)
3 free range eggs*
240 g plain flour
100 g cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat your oven to 180 deg Celsius.2. Chop Zucchini on speed 5 for 5-8 seconds in Thermomix. Remove and set aside. (If you don’t have a Thermo – blend in a food processor.)
3. Cream the butter and sugar on speed 7 for 20 seconds. Scrap down bowl half way. (If you don’t have a Thermo….mixer..)
4. Combine all dry ingredients into one bowl. Combine wet ingredients in one bowl (butter and sugar mix is wet, as is the zucchini :) ) Mix both – making sure that everything is well incorporated.
5. Get your muffin tray ready with muffin cases- this will make 12 large muffins.
6. Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Don’t mix too much – just gently until everything is the same colour. Sounds weird – but this is my rule of thumb with muffins.
7. Fill muffin cases about 2/3 with your mixture.
8. Cook in preheated oven for 20 – 25 minutes. The mixture will be dense, so use the “if it bounces back when I touch it rule” to see if they are ready. As I always say – it will depend on your oven. Make sure you put any baking as close to the top of the oven as possible – that’s where the heat distribution will be even.
9. Allow to cool and then frost. The frosting is the best!
1-3/4 cups icing sugar
1 tablespoon baking cocoa
2 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a small bowl, icing sugar and cocoa.
2. Stir in the coffee, butter and vanilla until smooth. (Or mix in Thermo for about 10 seconds speed 4)
3. Frost cupcakes.
* Why Free Range eggs? It’s because you have a choice now – Battery eggs or Free Range eggs for almost the same price. Look here for a vid about Free Range Egg farming and here for battery/caged egg farming. You can vote against cruelty with your choice at the supermarket.